Sunday, April 4, 2010

Technology, Priorities and Psalms

Well, there is much to discuss with this blog post considering it's been 3 week since I've last updated.Firstly, I had an interesting experience about 2 weeks ago concerning technology. After an amazing night at small group I sat and talked for a long long time with my mom about things, such as college, God, priorities, etc. After much discussion I came to the conclusion that technology was cluttering my life, and it needed the boot. So, I took a technology fast for a few days. No computer, no television, no cellphone, no music. nada. Honestly, it wasn't as hard as I though it would be. It was freeing, actually. I learned to appreciate silence more, and I learned that it's ok not to be connected with absolutely everyone at any and every moment of the day. Because of this learning experience, I have deactivated my twitter account, taken off facebook updates, and it's a beautiful thing. The point of getting rid of technology was to learn to better manage my priorities, which leads into my second paragraph.

I have found myself slacking in priorities, mostly in the technology department. Thus the tech. fast. I have been trying, and asking God of course, to retrain my habits. Because I haven't been spending time wisely, I've been procrastination on my homework. This in turn leads to me not getting my Bible reading done (see, this blog ties into my challenge). And since I've become behind on my reading schedule, I've felt obligated to catch up. I haven't been reading God' word as a blessing and encouragment, but rather as an obligation and constant reminder of my misuse of time. That is not how I want to view the Word of God. So, I've been asking God to redue my mindset toward his Word, and you know what? He's been moving!

I am still in Psalms, but should be finished soon. And, what I've been reading has been extremely fascinating. For example, i was reading Psalm 107 and the patterns of repitition in it is crazy! Basically, the author describes the sin of man, the punishment of God, man's repentence, and God's rescue of man. It does this about 3 times in the chapter, following the pattern. Now, I don't know what that means, but I think it's really cool. Also, in Psalm 119, the author uses the word "law" about 30 times, "command" about 17 times, and "precept" about 20 times. If you haven't read Psalm 119, it's very long, but a good read. I admire the talent these writers have in Psalms, the way their words still connect to people today. I'm loving this book!!

UPDATE: I have very good news to share!! Tomorrow, April 5, I will be 2/3 completed with the CIY Challenge!!! I believe that should inspire a blog in it of itself. I will say though, I can only attribute it to God, and his mighty power and control in my life. What a journey it's been, and how Awesome is our God!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment