Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Isaiah, check lists, and Salvation

Yesterday, I finished reading Isaiah; though not on schedule, it is finished. What a strange book Isaiah is, and more confusing than I had originally expected. The book is divided into two sections, Chapters 1-39 (The Book of Judgement) and Chapters 40-66 (The Book of Comfort). The first section generally went over my head with promises of judgements on certain lands for the things they had done. It wasn't until the second half, or even the last 15 chapters or so, that the words of Isaiah struck my heart.

In light of my previous blog post, I don't think God did anything miraculous in me while I read Isaiah, or at least it didn't feel like it. Maybe my heart wasn't there until just a few days ago when I got the chance to really sit down, stop, and ponder his Word. And when you think about it, isn't that the point of this challenge? To ponder upon the Word of God. I get so wrapped up in staying on schedule and completing the task, that I forget the many blessings that accompany it. My Current CIY Challenge Struggle: Reading the Bible as spiritual food for survival, not as a thing on my check list.

Though I didn't understand most of Isaiah, there were some parts that blew my mind. The following verses I had as my facebook status a while back, and they still encourage me to continue after Christ:

"Hear me, you who know what is right,
you people who have my law in your hearts:
Do not fear the reproach of men
or be terrified by their insults.
For the moth will eat them up like a garment;
the worm will devour them like wool.
But my righteousness will last forever,
my salvation through all generations."
Isaiah 51:7-8
What a promise!! Our Father's righteousness never ends, and his salvation will continue on for generations. Those verses give us hope, that despite our mistakes and screw-ups, God's righteousness and salvation is always there. The things of this world will pass away, but God will not.

No comments:

Post a Comment