Monday, March 7, 2011

Sweet Fellowship

I experienced some sweet fellowship with other believers in the past few days. It was just a glimpse of what I think God intends for all Christ followers.

On Friday, I hung out with my cousin and his girlfriend listening to some bands play for a CD release and a fundraiser concert for a mission trip to Haiti. I didn't necessarily experience fellowship here, but I observed it. I saw Christians from, what I'm assuming are, different backgrounds worship and fellowship together. It was an encouragement to me not only to see the common bond present among then but also to see people pursuing Christ in a different city.

On Sunday, I went to the college group at my church. Besides a couple of people, we all attend different universities. It was wonderful to see people from different schools come together to study the scripture and worship. Now, most of us attend the same church, so we already have that bond together. But, I see how God can go beyond that.

This is where I want to see not only the college group at my church but also believers in Grand Rapids to grow. I want to see not only different schools come together but also different church backgrounds and denominations. I challenge you to imagine a community where no walls and boundaries are present between churches that bear different names. Imagine if no dissension was amongst Christians because our hearts were so enthralled and captivated with Christ that minuscule differences would not create the division that is currently present.

These things and so much are what I see, what I dream about, and what I hope and pray for the future. This is what keeps me awake at night and puts a fire in my bones.

God has been, is, and will always be moving and His Name will be glorified.

Philippians 2:1-3

"Therefore if you have any encouragement from being united with Christ, if any comfort from his love, if any common sharing in the Spirit, if any tenderness and compassion, then make my joy complete by being like-minded, having the same love, being one in spirit and of one mind. Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value other above yourselves."

No comments:

Post a Comment