Monday, July 18, 2011

Camp Camp Camp

I love church camp. There's something about sleeping in cabins, swimming in a lake, and eating starchy foods for a week that makes me smile. Now, the food isn't all that fantastic, but I do love what camp is about, what it embodies. Giving students of any age 5-6 days away from home, where they build genuine friendships with peers and leaders, where they do unique activities like a zip line or the blob, but most importantly they have a week to get to know who God is and what his Son did for us.

I went to camp in middle school and have some very sweet memories of the week I spent away from home. Camp was a formative experience in my walk with Christ. For the past 3 years I have had the privilege to being a counselor at camp for middle school students. Going to camp is the highlight of my summer. A few weeks ago our church headed down to Trafalgar, Indiana to Camp Allendale.



Each year of camp has a different mood or feel to it. Last year, I saw students respond almost immediately to the sermons and worship. This year, we as leaders saw such bondage on the hearts and lives of the campers. Over the course of the week, we saw those burdens lifted and the chains broken in their lives. It was amazing to see the Spirit of God move in their hearts.

In my family, which had 11 campers and two other leaders, I believe God planted many seeds in their hearts. Though I did not see the eager responsiveness like my group last year, I know God will continue to work in them as they return home to their family, friends, and school.



I could go on and on about camp, but I at least wanted my thoughts on what God did that week. Oh! and did I mention that we spent the whole week in the book of Nehemiah? How cool is it, that we're diving not only into Scripture, but the Old Testament at youth camp. I think that's pretty cool. Anyway, here are some pictures from the week. Enjoy!




My Family Group, strangely named the Rolling Fat Heads



We were a bit of a strange family - as you can tell


Some of my campers on their way up to the zip line!



All the 5-8th graders during the Morning Show



Family team-building time

No comments:

Post a Comment