Monday, August 10, 2009

Go Abraham!!!!

I'm on Day 6 I believe, and I'm thoroughly enjoying Genesis, considering I'm still in the storybook part. I read in Genesis 18 today about some real guts that Abraham had. It's verses 16-33. Basically, Abraham negotiates with God on an extreme level (we're talking about the lives of thousands of people here).

Now, I'm not sure if you know who God is, but just a few verses later He destroys an entire city by raining down burning sulphur. Oh, and he also flooded the entire earth a few generations back. So, Abraham has to know that God is a pretty big guy.

A quick synopsis of how the story goes, God is with Abraham as he says farewell to some visitors he had (read the 1st part of ch. 18 for that story). So, the two are standing, looking over the city of Sodom when God tells Abraham his plan to destroy the city because of their wicked deeds. Well, Abraham was quick on his toes to ask God if he was going to kill the righteous and the wicked together. This is where the crazy part happens.

Abraham asks God if he would destroy the city if there were 50 righteous people there. God said no. Abraham then asks if God would destroy the city if there were 45 righteous people there. God said no. You see the pattern here? Abraham negotiates with God down to 10 people. How cool is that? I'm sorry, but I don't think I could to that with God, but Abraham did. And because he did that, he was able to save Lot and his family (minus the wife 'cause she looked back at Sodom)

Anyway, getting to the point of his blog, I want to say, Go Abraham!! I give him props for standing up to the Almighty. That story and Abraham's actions and words just remind me of the verse,

" So let us come boldly to the throne of our gracious God. There we will receive his mercy, and we will find grace to help us when we need it most. " Hebrews 4:16

No comments:

Post a Comment