Thursday, June 9, 2011

The Holy Spirit...what's that?

Today I finished reading Francis Chan's most recent book, Forgotten God: Reversing the Tragic Neglect of the Holy Spirit. Also, my church has been working through a series on the Holy Spirit. Needless to say, I've had a lot of talk about the Holy Spirit lately and it has mthinking about the Holy Spirit's work in my life.

At the end of Chan's book, he talks about about our biography and what it would look like if the Holy Spirit working in us mightily.

"A biography that speaks of a life so supernatural that no one would even consider giving you the glory. A biography that displays the power of the Spirit and lifts up the name of Jesus to the glory of God the Father."

...a life so supernatural, no one would give me glory, only God. I want to live a life like that, where I can only ever point to God and when others see my life, they look to God and praise him.

In this passion and desire God has instilled in me for the Christians, especially in the universities, in Grand Rapids area - I want people to see God and praise him in my life and actions, not me. I hope and pray that I would be led by the Holy Spirit in this area of my life (well, in every area of my life). I want "a life in which people know that our accomplishments could not have been attained by our own power. A life that brings glory to God in heaven." (another quote from Chan's book).

I am quite certain that unifying a large, diverse group of believers is not to be accomplished by the hands of men, but only by the Creator of us all.

Today, I am reminded that though passion-filled people often the face and voice of God's doings - it is God and God only who does those things.

No comments:

Post a Comment