Saturday, June 4, 2011

Pride.....in a good way

I wish I was more disciplined at blogging. Ideas constantly run through my head on what to write, but I do not take the time to sit down and put them into words (which is hard enough for me anyway). So, I apologize, once again, that it's been a while since my last post.

This morning I was reading in 1 Thessalonians chapter 3 about Paul's love of the Thessalonians and his joy in their faith. As I read through this chapter, I hear a leader exuding extreme joy for the people he has poured his heart and life into. He has literally poured his life since he wrote the letter after being torn away from the people through trials.

I reflect just a portion of Paul's emotions here when I think about the ministries and the people I have poured my life and heart into.

"Timothy...has brought good news about your faith and love." (vs. 6)
"in all our distress and persecution we were encouraged about you because of your faith." (vs.7)
"For now we really live, since you are standing firm in the Lord." (vs. 8)
"May the Lord make your love increase and overflow for each other and for everyone else, just as ours does for you." (vs. 12)

Let me share a recent example of this:

Two very dear friends of mine from church, they are sisters -one graduated a few years ago and the other is still in high school - are going on a mission trip to Haiti in just a few short weeks. They both had been working extremely hard to raise funds for this trip, but money was still short. $700 short to be exact. The day before the rest of their money was due, someone made an announcement at the high school youth group bible study that these sisters needed money, which was due the next day. So, the youth group decided to take a collection for the two.

Remember, these are high schoolers who have little or no money whatsoever. Within 15 minutes, every penny that was needed for the remainder of the trip had been collected and counted. Let me say that again, in 15 minutes - less than 80 high schoolers gave $700.

Seeing those students give of themselves to another person, maybe even someone they don't know, proud is not a strong enough word to describe my feelings. I do not take ownership of that youth group, but it is a group of people I poured 4 years of my life into and I cannot help but smile when I see how God is moving in that group of young people.

It is in moments like these that I remember how great our God is. He is no small being that can only do small things. He can and does bigger things than we can imagine.

Colossians 1:15-20

No comments:

Post a Comment