Thursday, January 21, 2010

Biblical Literature

This semester I am taking a Biblical Literature class a school. I've heard good things about this class from other people, and I am super excited to see what I can learn. What I think is interesting though, is a public school teaching a bible class. Now, this class is not taught from a Christian perspective, it is taught as a piece of literature. It's a very unique approach, one that I never thought about. After 3 weeks of this class, let me tell you, I love this class!! We have amazing discussion and are going slowly through the old testament. We were assigned this project (which I'm presenting tomorrow) to take a Christian song and analyze it as a piece of poetry. I chose David Crowder's version of How He Loves, and cannot wait to present it.

Anyway, I am super excited for this class because I want to learn some on the facts and history behind the old testament. With my challenge, I do not have time to dwell on a passage for a couple of days, I have to appreciate it for a moment and move on. With this class, I hope to answer some questions that I've had about Scripture and learn some important details about the OT. I also imagine that this class is a good introduction to Bible classes I hope to take in college. Now, I know that these type of classes will be different from eachother(christian college & public high school), but I want the two perspectives. This Bib Lit class is going to be awesome, I can tell. Hopefully I can tell some more about it as I go along. Here's something I never knew:

There are two different accounts of creation in Genesis, chapter 1 & 2. Read the two stories and notice the differences, tone and details. We had a very interesting discussion about that one class.

Just an update for my challenge, I finished Nehemiah this morning and am back on track from my little set back this last week or so. I'm excited to continue in Acts and start Esther then Job!

No comments:

Post a Comment